Norwich Township Building Permit Applications


In addition to submitting an application for a Building Permit under the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code, a Norwich Township Assessment Notification must be completed for all building projects, regardless of size or if a UCC building permit is necessary.  A copy of this form must be included with the building permit application submittal. The original , along with the $10 fee should be sent to

Melinda Keesee
Norwich Township Secretary/Treasurer
3853 West Valley Road
Smethport Pa 16749

All of the above forms and documentation must be submitted to:
Mr. Russ Braun, Building Official
P.O. BOX 25
WILCOX, PA 15870

Phone: (814) 919-5138 or (814) 594-6194

Before You Apply  
           We suggest that you sit down with your contractor or architect and discuss just exactly what your building plans are.   You or your contractor or architect must prepare a set of plans or drawings indicating exactly what you are planning to build.  It is very important that these plans contain all the required details when submitting them to Jones Township for review.  Incomplete plans can add weeks or even months to getting your Permit Application approved.  

Norwich Township requires a valid Sewage and a Pa. Uniform Construction Code (UCC) Building Permit prior to the installation or construction of any dwelling, including mobile homes, or other structures utilized as a recreational cabins. In some instances, a State Highway Occupancy Permit must also be obtained from PennDOT prior to constructing a new driveway entrance to a state maintained road.

Flood Plain Requirements:
• Determine if your proposed project is in a flood area (See FEMA FIRM Map). You may also call and have staff check the maps for the property in question.
• If your proposed project is in a flood area, is the development allowed?
• If development is allowed, you will need a certificate of elevation • If development is allowed. you may need engineering studies
• If development is allowed, it will need reviewed and approved by the Conservation District and County Planning.
Questions may be directed to:
• McKean County Conservation District; 17137 Route 6; Smethport, PA 16749 • Phone: (814) 887-4001
• McKean County Planning Commission: 17137 Route 6: Smethport, PA 16749 • Phone: (814) 887-2754

Environmental, Erosion & Sedimentation & Storm Water Management Requirements:
• Determine how much impervious surface will be created by your project.
If over 5.000 square feet, you will need to supply a Storm Water Management Plan.
• If your project will disrupt more than I acre of land submit an Erosion and Sedimentation Plan to the County Conservation District for approval.
Questions may be directed to:
• McKean County Conservation District; 17137 Route 6; Smethport, PA 16749 Phone: (814) 887-4001

County Land Use / Subdivision:

Are you proposing a business or residential development in an unoccupied parcel?
• If yes, submit plans to County Planning Commission for approval. Letters of approval and use will be required from the PA. American Water indicating their wiliness to serve the proposed development (both sewer & water)

Are you proposing to subdivide your property?
• If yes, contact the Sewage Enforcement Officer , the municipality and submit plans to both the Municipality and County Planning Commission (and sometimes to PA-DEP) for approval

• Questions may be directed to:
McKean County Planning Commission; 17137 Route 6; Smethport, PA 16749 Phone: (814) 887-2754

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Building sites for new or replacement dwellings to be served by an existing individual onlot sewage disposal (septic) systems, including privies and holding tanks, must be tested, field verified and approved by the municipal Sewage Enforcement Officer PRIOR to making an application for a Building Permit.  

               McKean County Stormwater Management Permits are now required for certain construction activities involving land development or earth disturbance activity that may affect stormwater runoff.  The extent of any required stormwater plan is dependent upon the area of impervious area created as indicated by the following chart:

New Impervious AreaApplicant Submission Requirements
0 SQ FT < 1000 SQ FTNo Plan Required
>1001 SQ FT but < 2500 SQ FTSmall Project Application Required
>2501 SQ FT but < 5000 SQ FTVolume Control and Small Project Application Required
>5001 SQ FTPeak Rate Control, Volume Control, and Small Project Application Required

Sewage Enforcement Officer:  Mr. Todd Fantaskey,  Phone: 814-723-3775
                                           Mailing Address: 235 Follett Run Road
                                                                    Warren, P A16365